Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Rockin' Chair Saga Continues. . .

This weekend I have been consumed by this little rocker - today was no different! I got up this morning (okay - so it was noon) thinking of all of the things I should be doing. But then I walked into the kitchen and saw the rocker sitting there. Although I have time until Christmas, I really wanted to finish it this weekend so that I could get it put away before Monkey comes over tomorrow. So I set my sights on finishing it today, and ignoring the rest of the things I was going to do.
The next step in finishing my little rocker was the stripes! I have to admit I was a little nervous about this step. This could be a big WOW for it or it could be a BIG disaster! My roll of blue painters tape was just about empty, but as luck would have it I found another roll in Gary's junk drawer - success - no trip to the store was needed. Okay - deep breath - here we go. . .
Would it be a success or a disaster? When I first started to peel off the tape I was convinced it was the latter.
The tape had pulled off the light green paint! I was so upset. I showed it to Gary and I don't know if he really was being positive that it could easily be fixed, or if he just wanted me to leave hime alone while he watched the Steelers play. Luckily his encouragement worked and I was able to get it all fixed!

Still, it seemed to be missing something. . .
So I turned my attention to cooking dinner. I turned around and the sunlight coming through the blinds were making perfect polk-a-dots on the light green support posts! While dinner cooked I got out my sponge daubers and made hapy little white polk-a-dots on the green. Perfection!

It was still missing something. . .
But my attention was once again diverted - Lizzy and Richard got home from Disney! We heard all about their trip, saw their souviners, and ate dinner. After diner everyone went off to do their own thing and my thing was the rocker. I decided lavender polk-a-dots all over the white posts would be the perfect touch - and it was!
Seems that I should be finished now right? Well now it is time to add the varnish (3 coats) and then glue on the embellishments. So I started on the varnish. Lizzy was so sweet and grabbed my carmera and took some pictures of me working on it during this first coat. Proof that I actually did paint this.
Well, all three coats are finished now on the top side of the rocker. Now it needs to dry for an hour or so. Then I can flip it over and do the underneath side. To kill time I got the kitchen cleaned up and dishes done. Then I decided I would come and write on my blog and share the latest pix of my little rocker. Hopefully tomorrow night I will have pictures of it all completed with the little embellishments. These are the things that will make it truly personal for Monkey. Can you guess what they are?????
Well, back to varnishing. . .
I hope you guys all had a great weekend and have plans for a super week!





No comments: