Thursday, August 2, 2012

I've Been Busy

Oh My - let's see, what have I been up to lately. . .
Well all last week was full of making birthday party decorations for the girls. Their birthdays are a week apart so they share a party. This year's theme was Lalaloopsy. Are you familiar with these dolls? They are something else, but the girls are madly in love with them. So there were tu-tus to be made and TONS of buttons to be sewn onto things. Then there were the crayon boxes that needed to be made and filled. But it all got done and was very cute and colorful!

Last Thursday was an eventful day around here - it was Bugs 2nd birthday! It was the last day I had the girls. Bryanna will be a SAHM now! And Gary bought a new truck! He really needed it but it was not a planned purchase. Typically I would have photos to go along with my words but these days I have been a little laxed about the camera. This is NOT typical for me at all. Not sure what's going on there???

Saturday was a birthday party for Gary's birthday out in Scottsdale and then Sunday was the Lala Party for the girls. It was a busy weekend but lots of fun. Again I was bad and never got my camera out! What is my problem?????

On one of our birthday party supply shopping trips, Bryanna tried to help me pick out fabric for my curtains in my new studio. Each fabric she picked I said no to. Then she picked this red and tan homespun fabric. It wasn't my favorite but I didn't hate it and I really didn't want to say no again. What the heck it was only $2.50  a yard. Well I made the curtains and I HATE them!!!!!I feel as though Ellie May Clampet and some of her critters are gonna come visit me at any minute.

 I was telling my friend Ann about them and she suggested some Graphic 45 fabric - what a smart idea!!! It is just the feel I was looking for. So that day while I was still on the phone with her I ordered this fabric. . .
 Do you recognize it? It is from the Communique line (one of my favorites) it was shipped yesterday and I can't wait to get it and start sewing!!!

This week since I don't have the girls I was able to get some cleaning done some errands run and even some work in my art journal. I love working in this. I of course love the process of the art its self, but I also love the experimenting with the paints, inks and supplies. I love finding images that tell the story I want to tell. And I love having the freedom to tell a story, express some feelings, ask some questions and have it not just be words written on a page.

This is the opening page to my journal (I tend to work out of order). It says "Pondering who I am & who I should be? There is a list of words along the right side that describe who I am or who I think I should be. I am not thrilled with the white marks I made all over it but I am glad I gave it a try. I am glad I stepped outside of my comfort zone. I even tried my new water colors on this page.
 This is a page I started late last night and finished this morning. It is a page about my Doodle. Today is a bitter sweet day - it is the 21st anniversary of his death and also my Monkey's 5th birthday! I like  to do something on his birthday or on this day to celebrate his life each year. This year I was on the beach for his birthday so I spent this day with him in my journal.
The page is called "What Would You Look Like Now" I used a photo of him as well as a very distorted photo of an old man sitting on a wall at sunset to tell my story. I even used my own handwriting on this page (something I hate but and trying to embrace) I used a white Uniball Signo pen to write with. What a GREAT pen!!!! It never skipped once, it didn't smear, nothing! If you are looking for a good white pen I highly recommend this one. You can get them at the Occasional Artist.
 I also scanned in his obituary from the newspaper and made a collage of the text to use as some background texture. I noticed some info in the obit was wrong which surprised me that I had never noticed it before. I tore out a heart from the collage and highlighted his name and mine with some water colors.
 Here's my Doodle and a shot of the old man image - the image is used three times on the page to represent that he was a part of my past, my present and my future. I don't believe that Love ever dies. And even though he is gone, his love is not!
 This is the collage I made from the obituary. I turned it all different ways for interest. I am telling you all of this to give you some ideas to use in your journals to make them more personal (and to save a little $$$ too)
Well, I hope you have had a good week and have gotten to do something you love !
Till we meet again. . . .

No comments: